Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Saturday- August 4th : Gay Pride Parade

Okay. First of all, I have to say that because I had previous plans to meet with someone on Saturday, I did not join the main group on their excursion to see the Gay Pride Parade. (Don’t worry, I did catch about two hours of it so there will be plenty of pictures later. However, it does mean that I don’t really have any pictures of anyone in our group at the Parade.)

So, first, I went to see my friends to have lunch. We ate at this place called “Hard Rock” or something of a similar sort. It was pretty good BUT BUT! There was this completely awesome huge chess set near where we ate! And there was a game being played, so we watched that. It was COOL! …Yes, I love dorky things like that.

Though I was also rather wondering if people had worked out a way to cheat at it. Be a lot harder than a simple slight of hand. What would you do? Pretend to trip over one: “Ooopsie! Oh, and I think that queen wasn’t really on that black square ready to capture my rook in the next move it was really on the white square! Really!”. And yes, that’s what I think about when I see a giant chessboard: how does one cheat. (I’ve played games with some of my friends where the entire point of the match ended up being to cheat so obviously that everyone knows you’re doing it but without your opponent actually catching you in the act. Try it. ‘Tis quite fun. ^___^) Oh, and there’s this cool lil’ bust that peers down at the board. I didn’t get a picture of it in time, but the man in pink next to the bust had the exact same facial expression and hand position as the bust a second before my camera shutter closed. It was rather amusing.


Anyway, after that we went to the shopping district, which didn’t incite any picture taking from me. You can see it for yourself…it will be almost exactly the same when you go, I’m sure. My friends then left and I wandered about a little, trying to find a map (I have absolutely no idea what I did with mine and I get completely confused without it) so I could figure out how I could get to a place the Gay Pride Parade passed by. I ended up at being distracted from my mission almost immediately by this American Book Store place where, by happy coincidence, I found Shirley and her friend. And no, I have no pictures of that either. I’m horrible at picture taking, really. But! Said friend of Shirley’s was as good as a map (and much nicer too) and directed me to the Gay Pride Parade. Also, in getting there, we went by this great set of flower stalls whose selling focus seemed to be tulip bulbs and carnivorous plants. There was also a really really cool stall with cacti that were flowering! (And cacti don’t flower for a long time, so it was awesome to see almost all of them flowering at the same time.) The same stall also had quite lovely orchids if you want to check 'em out.
And now for the Gay Pride Parade, which was completely awesome (a word I seem to be over using today ^_^). It was rather hot, but people were really excited and noisy so it was quite fun. I think this first video is a good intro to the parade:

The parade rather speaks for itself, so here are some pictures of it (I have waaaay more, but I figured it would be best just to post a few...) :




And here's a picture I rather like because of the coincidental rainbow that appeared:


And here's a picture that gives you some idea of how many people were there:


Cool, eh?
-Haley




2 comments:

Shirley said...

So glad to hear we could help! Awesome post! superb pictures of the parade & you captured one of the definite highlights on video! That chess set looks really cool will have to go check it out some time :)

Louche said...

Hi,

Thanks for using my video! But can you please put my name on it or link to my blog : mveldhuizen.blogspot.com?

Thanks,

Marloes Veldhuizen